Saturday, December 11, 2010

You Know What? Don't Bother.

Nothing excites me more than flipping through the TV menu and noticing a great movie that I haven't seen in a while is randomly in the guide. However, nothing makes me sadder than the three-second later revelation that the movie is on basic cable and therefore going to be edited and sanitised for the general public. Complete scenes have been removed and the dialog is choppy with edits. And some of the voice-dubs for clean alternatives to the actual dialog can be down-right painful at times. I understand why it has to happen, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. If a movie has particularly salty language or violence than I would almost rather the basic-cable channels not even bother to acquire the rights because it ruins the viewing experience.

Recently I was watching Tropic Thunder on FX, a network that lets a lot more slide than most, and they still had edited that movie to shreds. I was particularly disappointed because they editing things out of the movie which they would have allow to stay in any number of FX original shows. Why you can say shit on Sons of Anarchy, but not there is something I simply don't understand. I find it to be a very weird double-standard. I was going to let it slide, but then I noticed that someone had put together a collage of some of the more terrible edits done in one video. Apparently, I'm not the only person this bothers. I wouldn't play it at work, but I thought it was funny.

No comments: