Friday, December 10, 2010

More Sporties

-I'm always interested to see how the fans of another team react when you sign away one of their players in free agency. They've seen that guy in every possible situation and you'll get the real deal from them - no organizational spin about how perfect the guy is for the system or that they were lucky he was even available. For example, when the Red Sox signed John Lackey last season Angels fans' attitude was one of, "We'd like to have kept him, but not at that price. He ain't that good." (Which, by the way, was a very accurate assessment.) Anyway, I was anxious to hear the Rays fans feelings about Crawford signing a monster deal within the division. The problem was I didn't hear a peep. I guess you need fans to have fan reactions.

-My first reaction to the Crawford signing was almost one of guilt. Getting Crawford a few days after Adrian Gonzalez is an embarrassment of riches. However, then I remembered that Sox fans pay some of the highest ticket prices of any fanbase, those prices are most likely about to go up again, no one will complain about it and that crappy baseball stadium won't have an unsold seat for the next three seasons. I wouldn't go so far as to say we deserved to get great players, but Sox fans are a hell of a lot more worthy than Miami Heat fans.

-So, there was an auction earlier this afternoon featuring the original document containing the 13 rules that Dr. James Naismith drew up when he invented basketball in 1891. Sounds like a very cool item to own for anyone who considers themselves a basketball junkie. If I had some spending money I would have definitely put down a bid or two. However, something tells me I wouldn't have made it too far into the action, as the two pieces of paper ended up being auctioned off for more than $4 million. Yeah, that's a little out of my price range.

-The Heisman trophy is being given away tomorrow and presumed winner Cam Newton has said that his father won't be in attendance after allegations that Cecil Newton solicited money from schools in exchange for his son's commitment to play there. Let me say this: I don't doubt Cecil Newton asked for money, I don't doubt he got money and I don't doubt that Cam knew what was going on the entire time. That being said, I don't have any proof and clearly neither does the NCAA, so I really hope Cecil Newton changes his mind and goes to watch his son get the trophy. In a few years the committee is most likely going to come and take the Heisman back, so don't let them take the memory of watching your son receive the trophy away as well.

-Yesterday Martina Navratilova* was forced to abandon her attempt to climb Mount Kilimanjaro after she began suffering problems from the high altitude. The former tennis champion wanted to climb the mountain and hit tennis balls at the peak to raise money and awareness for a children's sports foundation. She had made it most of the way, but was forced to abandon the climb just shy of 15,000 feet. Apparently, it had been tough going with snow and wind. Plus, as Navratilova posted on a blog, "It was constantly steep." Really? The mountain was steep? I'm willing to overlook the snow, because weather happens. But you didn't plan for how steep a mountain was? Didn't anyone tell you what you were getting into? Who was in charge of planning this little venture? Next time have a bake sale.

*I'm fascinated by the fact that Navratilova is in my spell-check, as well as Kilimanjaro, yet Sox is not.

No comments: