Monday, December 20, 2010

First Snowfall Ramblings

We got the first snowfall to stick around these parts this afternoon. I was out doing the last of my Christmas shopping and people were as crazy as expected. A few thoughts I picked up along the way:

-There is an apartment complex on the way to my sister's house which has its own private golf course attached. You can only play there if you live at the complex, which is annoying as hell to me, because no one ever uses it. I've driven passed this course on the way to my sister's house literally hundreds of times and seen people golfing on it 15 times, if that. Today, in the snow, I saw two foursomes out playing. Two questions: 1. You wait until it starts snowing to take advantage of the fact there is a golf course outside your front door? 2. Will you guys be out there tomorrow? I'm more than willing to join if you'll have me.

-Today's snow was the kind that starts out as just scattered flakes, but gets more serious as the day fades and it gets colder. Now, I understand the people who want to take it easy once the roads start getting slick, but the people I always watch out for are the ones who start slowing down while the ground is still only wet. It's almost as if they are being too careful. If you don't trust yourself to drive on wet pavement then I certainly don't want to be around you once it actually becomes snow.

-The other people who make me cringe are the people who tailgate the sanding trucks. I understand those trucks drive well below the speed limit, which can be frustrating, but aren't those drivers aware of the damage that is being done to their vehicle? Do they hear all those little pellets bouncing off their hood? That's the sound of needing a new paint job.

-I feel like I have to say this every year (and I really shouldn't) but, here's a note to the people in the mall parking lots: just because there is an inch of snow on the ground making it harder to see the white parking lines, that does not mean you are allowed to start parking diagonally. You know the lines are there, dammit, respect them.

-As it currently stands, we have roughly 2 inches (maybe 3) of snow on the ground. You could sweep it away if you even feel the need to clear it off the steps, which currently I do not. A shovel would be overkill. Therefore, to the people I saw on the ride home firing up their snow blowers: move to Florida. You have already lost.

No comments: