Sunday, July 3, 2011

Slow To Come Around

On more than one occasion I've mentioned that I'm slow to embrace popular trends. I just worry if I actually like something because it's good or because I'm bowing to peer pressure. So to fight this if someone tells me I have to watch something because everyone else is watching it I'm probably going to hate it just to be contrary. However, the flip side of that is by the time I do finally come around to something (usually just as it's becoming unpopular) I'm fiercely loyal to whatever that thing may be. Once I like something because I actually enjoy it, I dive in with gusto and become annoyingly stubborn about sticking with it. For example, if I ever join Facebook (extremely unlikely, but go with me on this), I'll have 1,000 friends, a huge spread on Farmville and win Mafia Wars within a week. It's just how I work.

As such it should be no surprise that I'm currently obsessed with Adele. Adele first came to prominence a couple years ago, but has really become popular in America the last few months. Therefore, as you would expect, I wasn't interested in listening to her. But now that I've come around on her, I'm all in. I've pretty much had her latest album on repeat for the last week and a half. So, the other day when I was reading that story about how far MySpace has fallen and thought about the way people fall in and out of love with things so fast these days, the musical interlude for the week kind of picked itself.

No comments: