Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Hidden Star

Whenever there is a health guru on TV imploring people to be more active, they usually show a list of little things people can do which will help them to keep moving. One of the things which is always on this list is "Go into the store instead of using the drive-through." The guru then tries to sell this idea by stating something along the lines of, "So many people use the drive-through that it is probably faster to go inside anyway." Well, I'm here to tell you that is a bold-faced lie.

This afternoon I need to run a couple of quick errands, including stopping at the bank. When I first pulled up I planned to just do the drive-through. But, there was only one lane open at the drive-up teller window and currently six cars were in line ahead of me so I assumed that it would be faster to go inside. When I walked in I was feeling pretty good about my decision, as there were three tellers currently waiting on customers and no one in line. I could also see where the woman working the drive-through window was seated and I noticed her computer screen was currently open to a shoe store website. I almost said something to her about how many cars were in line outside, but didn't and I'm glad I kept my mouth shut. Turns out she was working that window because she was the superstar of this particular group.

While I was waiting for an open window I saw she was only browsing for shoes in the time it took for the capsule to travel back and forth between the car and the bank. During the rest of the time she was a banking machine. At the same time the people working inside were in no great hurry. The three of them were chugging along, but not at an inspiring pace. (It probably didn't help that a fourth teller who was hiding behind a 'Next Window' sign kept distracting them by attempting to make lunch plans.) I stood there, still first in line, and watched car after car after car roll through with their transactions. As the car which would have been behind me had I stayed in line pulled away from the bank I finally got to a teller.

You know, every office I have ever worked in has had a hidden star. These are the people who are not the boss (the boss can never be the star), but everyone knows they are a vitally important part of the operation. They are the ones who always get the job done and are the person willing to take on extra responsibility or the crappiest assignment every single time. Even though they don't have to, they actually give a crap about their job. Clearly, the woman working the drive-through window was this bank's hidden star. She was on the drive-through line because she was the fastest worker and very capable of shopping for shoes while getting her work done. I just wish there was a way for me to have known this before going in, because I really hate standing in lines.

No comments: