Sunday, October 2, 2011

An Oversight

A few days ago I wrote about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame releasing its list of bands up for induction this year. Well, lost in the shuffle of all the new acts up for first-time consideration were the ones which have previously been on the ballot and not gotten enough votes to get in. Bands like the Beastie Boys. Now, I wouldn't have guessed the Beastie Boys had been around long enough to be eligible, but it turns out they have been on the ballot since 2008. Are you kidding me? Look at some of the acts inducted since that year: The Ventures, Little Anthony & The Imperials and The Hollies. You mean to tell me that the Beastie Boys were not more important to moving music evolving by mixing hip-hop and rock than those guys? Blasphemy.

I'll grant you that it was more important (and fitting) that Run-DMC got in first and they only got inducted in 2009. But the fact that the Beasties have been sitting around since then shows me a severe lack of respect for the genre of music they helped pioneer. I understand that it is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but I still assumed it was there to respect all kinds of music, much like the Basketball Hall of Fame recognizes college, pro and international (both men's and women's) basketball equally. Until I went over the full list I wasn't going to have a problem with Guns N' Roses taking all the spotlight, but if it is at the expense of a group like the Beastie Boys that becomes an issue. The Beastie Boys should definitely be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.


No comments: