Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Little Chilly

For a lot of people, Labor Day signals the end of summer and trips to Cape Cod. Not me. I love going down to the Cape when the calendar reads September and October. Not only is it not nearly as hot, but the crowds are about 1/3 of what they are during the summer months. I was golfing at my country club on the Cape on Thursday and it was as if I had my own private golf course. (Note to self: become rich enough to have own private golf course. That was awesome.) There is just one down side to all this - it gets really cold during these New England fall nights.

Since we're getting near the time when we have to close the beach house for the year I decided to go for one last long weekend. Everything was going fine until Thursday morning when I whipped my covers off in the morning and was greeted by the coldest bedroom in history. Temperatures overnight had dropped into the mid-40s and since the beach house isn't insulated it wasn't much warmer in the house. (Actually, 50 degrees, according to the handy indoor/outdoor thermometer.) Then it heated up outside much faster than inside, as within an hour it was 60 degrees outside and just 55 degrees inside. Thank God I brought a space heater with me or I wouldn't have made it to a second night. In the least shocking newsflash ever, I awoke with the beginnings of a cold Friday morning.

No comments: