Sunday, December 4, 2011

Format-Free

Normally, I'm up for a little randomness in my life (as if you couldn't tell from the varied topics on this blog). But when it comes to my music, I seem to get into very specific phases. I get into a mood to hear certain genres of music at certain times and nothing from outside it. This seems to be a problem lately because new music has begun to blur the lines between musical formats. Turning on the radio these days you never know what you are going to hear. Country music can show up on the pop stations just as easily as some rap and hip-hop. Everything can be played just about anywhere (outside of the classic rock stations - on those you know it's going to be 1 of about 13 bands).

I bring this us because the other day I woke up with a chorus in my head and I wasn't sure where it came from. Sometimes I don't mind having a song stuck in my head... this was not one of those times. Honestly, I wasn't sure I even knew what the song was - all I knew was the chorus, which actually made it more annoying. I ended up Googling it and discovering that it's a pretty new song, but that still didn't explain how it got into my brain. It might be in a commercial or promo, but as it kept replaying in my head I wasn't really concerned with how it got in there, I just wanted it out. I thought listening to something else would help clear my mind. So, I turned on the hip-hop station, only to hear the same damn chorus from the same damn song that had been on repeat in my mind all day. It is decidedly not a hip-hop song, so I'm still trying to figure out what it was doing there. Either way, at this point I'm trying to go the other way and playing it so much I get sick of it. Enjoy being included in my strange little experiment.

No comments: