Sunday, December 11, 2011

Time To Go

On Friday the City of Boston told the protesters of Occupy Boston that they had to leave Dewey Square, the park they had lived in for the last couple of months. If they weren't gone by midnight, they were going to be arrested. I know you may find this hard to believe, but many of the protesters didn't listen to the City and remained. So, Saturday morning around 50 of them were arrested and the park was finally cleared out. According to reports, all went smoothly, or at least as smoothly as a raid of that size can go. Occupy Boston has already said they would continue the fight elsewhere and even staged a rally Saturday night, though from the news reports I saw it wasn't very well-attended. I can't exactly say I'm surprised.

I don't know about you, but I was starting to get the feeling that a few of the occupiers were almost glad to have a reason to leave. I'm sure when they joined the movement they thought they would cause sweeping changes to move in quickly, but when that didn't happen I wonder just how many started to doubt if this was the best use of their time. At the very least it was taking a lot longer than they anticipated. Obviously they weren't going to leave because no one wants to abandon a movement, but it's getting colder and the holidays are coming, so I can't shake the feeling that more than a couple of them are grateful that the city gave them an out. Perhaps the next movement will take place somewhere a little warmer and with easier access to bathrooms.


No comments: