Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Importance Of Wish Lists

Right after Thanksgiving, people start on me about what I want for Christmas. While I admit this is hardly a bad problem to have, it is still awkward. First off, I hate asking people to buy me stuff. The way I figure it, if I haven't already bought it for myself than I probably don't need it. Also, is there any way to fill out a Christmas wish list without feeling like a complete and total brat? Because it really doesn't feel like it. Seriously, try and hand people a long list of things for them to buy for you without feeling like Veruca Salt from "Charlie and The Chocolate Factory". Can't be done. What makes this so ironic is that I often like it when people make gifts lists, because I usually need help coming up with ideas for people. When I don't have a list to work off of, that is when bad things happen.

The other day I was doing some pre-Christmas shopping scouting. I do this every year - check out a few stores and hope that inspiration strikes. I don't always end up getting the person the exact thing I see, but hopefully it will at least set me on the right path. From there I can go home and do a little more research about a product and see if I can get a better deal online. And, on occasion, it has shown me exactly what I won't be buying someone, which can be just as handy. It is when inspiration doesn't strike me that I start to get a little worried and my gift-buying can go a little sideways.

While out on my little scouting excursion I had a very specific person in mind. And so far this holiday season I have been drawing a blank as to what I could possibly get them for a gift. But, I found myself in a large store that was having an even larger sale. At one point I looked to my right and saw that one thing they seemed to be pushing were bread makers. Now, my friend has no need for a bread maker. I don't think he's ever told me he wants to make bread and I'm not even sure he would know where to begin in the bread making process. However in that moment with no other gift possibilities coming to mind, I began to talk myself into getting him a bread maker.
I mean, I know he eats bread. Maybe he would appreciate the chance to make it himself. It could be a learning experience. Frankly, he might appreciate the chance to learn a new skill. He's never tried it - what if he loves it? Then I'm the hero for introducing him to the wonderful world of bread making. And think of all the money he could save if he didn't have to buy bread every couple of weeks. Not only would this gift be a new hobby, but it would be financially smart as well. This would be the gift that kept on giving. This could be the best gift ever!

I'm fairly convinced that the simple lack of a better idea has led to 95% of all bread maker purchases. Fortunately for my friend I talked myself out of this gift just as quickly as I talked myself into it. But, see, this is what happens when you don't tell people what you want for a gift. They sit there and start talking themselves into random items for no other reason than they can't think of anything better. So, as awkward as you may feel having to sit down and make out a wish list this holiday season, just know that anyone who wants to get you a gift appreciates it. It's either that, or start practicing your surprised face so they won't be disappointed at your reaction to your brand new bread maker.

No comments: