Friday, December 16, 2011

The Lowe Down

I find myself strangely captivated by this "All-American Muslims"/Lowe's controversy. For those of you who aren't aware of it, Lowe's pulled all their advertising from the TLC show after receiving threats of boycotts by a few groups. So, of course, Lowe's caved. It's an interesting marketing story about which companies choose to advertise on which shows, as well as just how much influence the 24-hour cable news channels have. There were always crazy people in the world, but with so many hours of programming to fill the cable news networks are giving these people a chance to share their insane views with the world. Suddenly the crazies have a little power instead of just being ignored, which is what should be happening to these kinds of people.

Now, normally a controversy like this would translate into ratings gold for the network as new audience members flip over in droves to see what all the fuss is about. However, this week "All-American Muslims" saw about 900,000 viewers. Even for basic cable, that is a pathetic rating. (I'll admit, I didn't tune in either. I'm intrigued from a marketing/journalism angle. I'm not interested in seeing the actual show.) You'll see infomercials that get more viewers. Apparently, I'm the only one interested in this story. Well, me and Jon Stewart.



No comments: