Sunday, March 3, 2013

Pilot Error

A common theme on this blog is how sad I find it when people fight over something which no one else finds important. I appreciate people feeling the need to fight for something they believe in, but at some point you just look as though you have lost perspective. That was my main feeling this week when I heard that Stone Temple Pilot's lead singer Scott Weiland was preparing to sue his bandmates because they wanted to fire him. Weiland's lawsuit would contend that he couldn't be fired because he was an integral part of the band, providing not only their vocals but writing the lyrics for several of their songs. I guess I can understand his point to some degree, because without him they wouldn't really be Stone Temple Pilots anymore. I mean, it is not like this is Van Halen where the guitarist is just as recognizable. You'll notice I called the other member of Stone Temple Pilots his bandmates - well, that is because I don't actually know any of their names. I have kind of a soft spot for Stone Temple Pilots because their album "Core" was the first CD I ever bought. (Don't get too excited, it was at a yard sale and the pickings were slim.) So, the fact that these former rockers are now hiding behind lawyers just makes me feel old.

But, the main reason this lawsuit is rather sad is the fact that until I heard about it I wasn't even sure Stone Temple Pilots were still a band. I was under the assumption they had broken up years ago when Weiland fought addiction problems and eventually joined the super group Velvet Revolver, made up of most of the members of Gun N' Roses who had been fired by Axl Rose (not exactly what I would call a good trade). Apparently they reunited and release a new album a couple of years ago but it made almost no impact. So, really Weiland suing to remain a member of Stone Temple Pilots is a little like someone suing AOL to get their job back. Apparently, no one told him that there is no point remaining where you are not wanted. Now I am sure Weiland is in no great hurry to make new music with his former bandmates and this has more to do with the rights to the band's catalog than anything else. If that is all he is after I'm sure they will be able to come to a settlement and both parties will be able to get on with their live. I can only assume the remaining members of Stone Temple Pilots want to find someone who sounds like Weiland but is perhaps more reliable about being ready to sing when the band has a show. The funny thing is, given how infrequently the band perform these days, they probably could stick with Weiland and save themselves some legal fees.

No comments: