Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Give It The Fonzie Treatment

One of the more frustrating things in life is when things break for no reason. If you constantly drop your phone or it gets wet, stepped on, run over and crushed - well, you can't really act too shocked when the '9' button suddenly stops working. But, it's very annoying when things work just fine one day and suddenly the next day those same buttons are useless. Recently buttons on my iDock began to do this. With no real warning or cause, the volume and toggle buttons on the dock just stopped working. What makes this stranger is the fact that the toggle buttons are part of a larger circle that make up one button, which has specific pressure points for specific actions (think of like they are situated west and east) and the other two buttons on the same circle (north and south) still work just fine. Now, it's not that big a deal because I can still change the song just using the iPod itself. The bigger issue is the volume, because when the iPod is playing through the dock the only way to change the volume is to track down the remote and change the volume from there. I feel like an idiot having to walk across the room and find the remote, just to turn a song up when I am a foot away from the thing. Really, it's the exact opposite of what a remote is supposed to be doing.

I could understand the problem if the dock had recently fallen or gotten some liquid into it, but it's been very nicely situated on top of my bureau ever since I bought it. Barely moved (if at all) after it came out of the package. Also, I'm hesitant to open it up and look inside, because I'm not savvy with the hardware of electronics. I may as well be looking into an open human chest cavity. At this point I'm seriously thinking of trying to kick it or something to try and shake whatever wire came loose back into place. Then, at least if something else on this thing stops working I could explain it away, "Oh, the radio part doesn't work ever since I threw the dock against the wall."

-I think it's pretty stupid of ESPN to come out and publicly announce the suspension of Tony Kornheiser. Seems kind of petty, almost like they're trying to make an example of him. Furthermore, I actually believe all this talk about his comments about Hannah Storm have actually brought more attention to a topic that would have been forgotten if they didn't keep bringing them up when mentioning the story on SportsCenter. Now it's seeped into other news organizations (my mom asked me about what he said, which proves how big the story has gotten). If they had just quietly given him a couple weeks off it would have seemed like much less of a big deal.

No comments: