Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Please Turn In Your License, Sir

On the way home from a couple of quick errands this afternoon, I was coming down a side street towards a red light. There was one car at the light, then two parked cars, half sticking into the road because there was no lane for parking (but clearly parked and empty), then another car. The last car was just far enough over that I couldn't tell if he wanted to park or be part of the traffic flow. When the light turned green he didn't move. I started to go around him, cursing his existence for not being courteous enough to have a blinker on and still missed the light. It was at this point that the guy (who was young enough that he should have been more alert), perked up and then pulled in behind me. In other words, he thought the empty cars were part of traffic, even though they were obviously unoccupied. These are the kind of people I share a road with.

-So, Randy Moss has come out and said that he thinks this coming season with the Patriots will be his last. His contract is about to expire and he doesn't expect to get an extension in Foxboro, because the Patriots don't pay. He said there were no hard feelings and that this was just business. All in all I would say that these comments were very measured and thought-out, just what you would expect of a veteran who is secure with his legacy in the NFL. The only thing I take exception to is when Moss said the Patriots don't pay. If that was the case, they wouldn't be up against the cap every single year. They just don't pay soon-to-be 34 year-old wide receivers who have seen their production drop. They will be paying Vince Wilfork (I hope) and Jerod Mayo. They're simply trying to get the most bang for their buck. Don't make them out to be the Buffalo Bills in this scenario.

-Wait, now I know "trying to trade kids for a bird" sounds bad. But, before we all rush to judgement here, perhaps we should find out what kind of cockatoo it was. I mean, was it the kind that repeats what you say? Did it do tricks? These are the kind of things I want to know before I jump to a conclusion.

No comments: