Saturday, July 24, 2010

Five Thoughts

-Here's is what I have personally adopted as my indicator that it is ridiculously humid outside. If, when stepping out of my air-conditioned vehicle (with the A/C set low), I can't get more than two steps before my glasses completely fog over then yes, it is far too humid outside. Today I barely got the door open before I couldn't even see in front of my face.

-I know that it is never a good idea to praise a criminal, but considering no one got hurt, I have to commend the guy who robbed a bank earlier this week dressed as Darth Vader. First off, why haven't more criminals gone this route? 1. No one thinks it's real and just assumes that it's either a prank or a TV gag, so no one other than the teller knows whats going on and 2. you wear a mask that completely covers your face. It's kind of a brilliant idea. All you have to do is make sure the cape doesn't get caught in the door. And, if a cop does show up just wave your hand in his face and remind him that, "These aren't the droids you're looking for." (Yes, nerds, I know Darth didn't say that line.)

-Speaking of geeks: given the facts that I like action movies, as well as San Diego, I'm a little bit of a sci-fi geek (see last paragraph) and I have no real hatred towards comic books, I'm kind of surprised that I have never made it to Comic-Con. Every year when I see coverage of it I find myself intrigued by the spectacle it seems to cause. It appears to be something I'm going to have to attend at least once in my life, just to be able to cross it off my list. However, I would want it to be part of a larger trip, because I am also fairly sure that I would be all-set with it after an hour or two.

-Allow me to go on record as saying that it would be a very bad idea for either the St. Louis Rams or the Cincinnati Bengals to sign Terrell Owens. While he would at least make sense from a football side of things for the Bengals, you do not want him and Chad Ocho Cinco in the same locker room at the same time. There is only one football to go around and unless Carson Palmer wants to start playing with earplugs in they should keep Owens away for sanity's sake. However, signing with the Rams would be even worse. Owens is usually only on his best behavior when he is on a good team, which St. Louis will not be. Unless they want to kill Sam Bradford's career before it can even get going, the Rams are better off focusing on getting someone to backup Steven Jackson.

-But, speaking of wide receivers, I am shocked to hear that Wes Welker is going to be ready at the start of training camp this week. When he went down it looked bad and considering how late in the season it was, I thought he'd be back week 6 of the season at the earliest. Of course, that could still wind up being the case because even if a guy can participate in camp drills, that doesn't mean he's ready for the impact of an NFL game. If he is, though, then the Patriots receiving corps just got a big upgrade that didn't cost them a thing. I am slowly talking myself into this Patriots team being back at 2008 "Beast" level.

No comments: