Sunday, July 18, 2010

Only Fathers Can Have Facial Hair

When I am completely clean-shaven, I look around 16 years old. This point was driven home to me a couple weeks back when I was down the beach, mostly clean-shaven, and the guy at the package store took a full three minutes to examine my license before allowing me to buy beer. Thus, ever since I could grow facial hair (sadly, this didn't happen until I was close to 24) I have tried to have some kind of beard/goatee. However, I never would have equated facial hair to fatherhood until yesterday. Now, I haven't shaved in nearly two weeks at this point and have a good scruff going. I went to the driving range to cash in the last of my birthday gift certificates. When I handed the card over the woman behind the counter said, "Oh, someone had a very nice Father's Day." Um, I'm sure someone did, but it wasn't me. I just found it odd that she jumped to that conclusion given all the other possible gift giving days out there.

-Speaking of golf, as I said on Twitter the other day it's very hard to try and defend it as a real sport when high winds can stop a major championship in the middle of the second round. (Officials stopped play because high winds were blowing the golf balls off the putting surface.) However, before the baseball people get too full of themselves about how much tougher their players are, keep in mind that at least most golfers don't hurt themselves trying to hold in a sneeze.

-Facebook passed the 500 million user mark last week, which is more users than the population of the United States. As a result of surpassing that number Facebook is planning all sorts of celebrations and profiles of some of its more active members. While 500 million sounds impressive, I want to know the stats about how many people haven't updated their page in months. I feel like if people haven't logged in six months than they shouldn't count.

-I feel compelled to point something out: during the winter you heard all the people who don't believe in Global Warming use the fact that it still got cold in winter as proof that it must not exist. Well, by that same logic, I would love to hear their reasoning now that every state in the lower 48 was at least in the 90s at some point this week and half a dozen reached triple digits. We've been slowly melting here in Massachusetts and trusts me, that kind of heat can make a believer out of just about anyone.

No comments: