Wednesday, July 21, 2010

What Happened To Medium?

The other day I got a coupon in the mail for a "buy one, get one" deal on a bucket of golf balls at the local driving range. On the coupon it says that you can only use this discount for the small or large bucket, but I happen to know that at this particular driving range those are the only two sizes available. Therefore, I'm confused as to why they felt they needed to make a distinction on the coupon. [Sidebar: the large bucket is 80 golf balls. I also don't know who could hit 160 golf balls in one session without their arm falling off or their shoulder detaching.] Perhaps the legal department gets all twitchy about sending out a mailer with no disclaimers or restrictions. Anyway, I'm noticing as I make my way through the world that this is becoming a common trend - nobody has medium as a size option anymore. Every drink now comes as either super huge or in a shot glass. Even if they call it a medium it is usually just the small one. (As you'll see in a moment, Hal Sparks agrees with me... but don't listen to that clip at work.)

This is also prevalent in the world of socks. At some point, socks became a seasonal piece of clothing. Now, I don't mean heavy boot socks or thin dress socks but normal, everyday athletic socks. I can't find normal crew socks that go a couple inches above the ankle anywhere. The ones I find either come in the just-below-the-ankle-so-it-looks-like-you-aren't-even-wearing-socks style or the kind that come all the way up your calves (well, not my calves because my calves are the size of a normal person's thigh, but you get the point). You can't wear the ankle-high ones in the winter because then you are one high snowbank away from frostbitten ankles and the calf-high style aren't good in the summer because they a) never stay up and b) leave way too much fabric at the ankle which doesn't look good when you're wearing shorts and apparently girls notice that kind of thing. You could try to fold the long ones down a little, but that just doubles them up and when it's 90 degrees outside do you really want to double the thickness of the socks on your feet? What happened to making socks that landed somewhere in the middle?

No comments: