Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Thanks For The (Non) Input

The other day I was looking for some new audio recording and editing software for my computer. (I've been think about spicing up the other site with some golf-related podcasts, but that is another topic for another day.) Anyway, I just wanted something basic and not too large, because most of my computer's memory is taken up by music files and it already runs pretty slowly. As it happens when you are on the Internet, my simple search led me down paths to all sorts of sites, one of which was a forum for people who do podcasts to leave message to one another and troubleshoot some of their software. There were all kinds of topics about podcasting to look through, one of which was a discussion on the legality of using popular songs as liners or show-openings and at what point you need to pay the artist for the rights to use their stuff. Personally I think that only becomes an issue when more than 20 people start listening to your stuff so you can cross that bridge when you come to it, but I'm no lawyer. Anyways, one of the posters left a message that said, "I'm sure there are copies of cover bands performing famous songs out there and you could use those instead of the original recording, but I'm certainly not going to be the one who helps you find them, because I think that is wrong."

See, this is why I avoid chat rooms and Internet forum sites. This guy took the time out of his day to compose a response that pretty much said, "Hi, I'm a tool." I was always raised that if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. As I've gotten older I've realised this should be amended to include the phrase, "if you don't have anything intelligent to say". Instead of taking that advice, this person decided they needed to include their input on the issue, even though they clearly didn't have anything constructive to add to the discussion. They wanted their voice to be heard, even if it wasn't actually saying anything useful. When that is the case, guys like this should stay out of the way of the people who do. Just read the topic and if you can't think of anything funny or helpful to say then move to another forum. But, if this poster insisted on commenting then he should have either suggested an alternative music source or had an actual insight on the legality of the issue. Instead he got up on his high horse about how he treats his podcast, as if he has Howard Stern-level listeners. Also, the tone bothered the hell out of me, because it was written with a smug superiority that should never come from anyone who spends a lot of time in chat rooms (and judging my how many posts he had made, this guy spends a lot of time there). You would think he would be better educated on posting etiquette.

-While I am well aware that one game in a summer league does not a career make, I was encouraged by what I saw out of Luke Harangody's debut yesterday. Playing against an Oklahoma City squad that featured a couple of NBA regulars, 'Gody held his own and led the Celtics in scoring with 23 points. (I would have liked to seen more rebounds, but I'm not going to nit-pick.) Having a good game in the summer league is kind of double-edged sword: you're going against a lot of guys who are long shots to make the league, so if you play well then, frankly, you were supposed to. But, if you don't have a good game than it can send up all kinds of red flags about your NBA potential. As a second-rounder Harangody doesn't have the kind of roster security where he can afford to put doubts in anyone's mind. Also, if there is any question as to what kind of role the Celtics are envisioning Luke to have, take the fact that he had 6 three-point attempts as an indicator that they want him to fill the Scalabrine role and be a deep threat off the bench. I'm not totally sure that that is the best way to use him, but given the news that Shaquille O'Neal and the Celtics are making googly eyes at one another and Rasheed Wallace is re-thinking his retirement, the low-post could be a crowded spot next season. [Sidebar: I'll take either Shaq or Sheed, but not both. Otherwise those two will have a reverse race to see who can get down the floor slower and never make it inside the three point arc. Given Perk's knee injury Shaq may be the better option.]

No comments: