Friday, February 13, 2009

Horror Movies

Since it's Friday the 13th, several television stations have taken it upon themselves to show horror movies the last couple of days. Also, today is the day the latest, updated version of the Friday the 13th movie comes out (I think this is about number 39). They've taken this concept in about 14 different directions and three or four re-launches. They even tried to cross over with another horror franchise, Nightmare on Elm Street. This led to one of the greatest exchanges I've ever had with my dad:

Dad: "Freddy versus Jason. Who loses?"
Me: "Anyone who paid to see it."

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the overly gore-filled horror movies. Obviously there will be some blood in a horror movie, I just think they can go overboard. I've just never seen the point of seeing how much blood you can fit in one movie. I think what you can't see but can only imagine is much worse. But, a few make the crossover very well and thus here is my personal top 5 list of horror movies (please note, not all of these would be considered you're typical horror movie. If you disagree, that's fine - go write your own blog):

5. Audition Guy looking for a date instead finds a psycho. Hey, it's happened to the best of us. She just takes it to another level. Think Hostel, but with less gore and more psychological warfare against your brain. The last 15 minutes are weird, though, so be warned.
4. Halloween Before they made all the sequels, this was the original "the bad guy's dead... no wait" movie.
3. Misery How's your foot?
2. Silence of the Lambs Don't know if this would have been as good with anyone but Anthony Hopkins. He's the perfect mix of sophisticate and psycho; able to talk about horrific things very calmly. It's weird that Buffalo Bill is now on Monk, though.
1. Jaws I fricking love this movie. This wasn't always the case. As a kid I watched all four Jaws movies all the way through and never saw the shark once. Once I heard the music I would simply look away until the screaming stopped. But, I finally got the nerve to watch people get eaten by a mechanical shark and now whenever this movie is on TV I have to watch until the end. Only the original stands the test of time, the sequels all stunk. Also, I wonder how good it would have been had the shark worked like it supposed to.

No comments: