Sunday, March 7, 2010

Breaking The 55 Barrier

Every year in Boston, the first day near 60 degrees is a major milestone. It signifies that we might have finally gotten through winter and spring is on it's way. The day is celebrated by people wearing short sleeves, shorts and tank tops - exposing some areas of the body to direct sunlight for the first time in months. It's a great day if you like pale skin. Well, yesterday was that day. I was in Boston near the Seaport World Trade Center for the annual Boston Golf Expo and was greeted by joggers who weren't dodging snow piles and people who were able to wait outside without fighting frostbite. Spring had sprung (at least for the day).

I used to work in this area, but I hadn't been around there for a few months and I have to say I am really pleased with how the area is coming along. There are several new restaurants and the area actually had some life to it (I'm still curious as to how it is when there is not a convention in town, but that's another issue for another day). One of the new bars in the area is a sports bar (you would think I would remember the name, but I don't) right next to the Seaport Bar & Grill, which was a usual hangout when I was working in the area. The Seaport was famous for it's awesome roof deck, but that looked to currently be undergoing renovations. But, the new place had a back deck on the water, which is a great way to celebrate the first warm day in Boston. And, as an added bonus, there were new St. Patrick's Day bottles. Bud Light is not usually my beer of choice, but I'm a sucker for green bottles. It was a fantastic kick-off (at least I hope it's the kick-off) of spring.



-Last night HBO aired it's new documentary, Magic & Bird: A Courtship of Rivals. I usually like the job HBO does with it's sports documentaries and this was no exception. It was very well put together and even though it's an hour and half, it moves at a very good pace. I really liked it. Now, if you want the subject covered a little more I would suggest Jackie MacMullen's book, "When the Game Was Ours." It tells the Bird/Magic story in greater detail, which I'm sure just for times sake the documentary couldn't. I guess that's a sign I'm really getting old - now I'm saying 'the book was better' about a documentary, not just a feature film.

No comments: