Saturday, March 6, 2010

Movie Set Mindset

As someone who really enjoys films, but also has done some behind-the scenes video production, when I watch movies I sometimes wonder what it was like on the set while the movie was being made. Did the cast and crew know that the movie was going to be great, or did they all assume it would bomb? If they think the movie is going to bomb, do they collectively start mailing it in? Also, if the cast is made up of really weird people, does the set take on a weird vibe? The reason I was thinking about this is because the other day I was flipping around and landed on Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow. Now, never having met the man, but having seen several of his movies, I tend to think of Tim Burton as probably pretty out-there. Plus, I think Johnny Depp is out there as well, only he hides it better until he's around his equally-weird friend, Burton (which is why they work together so much). In addition, the still slightly-Gothic Christina Ricci is in this. Hell, even the Headless Horseman turns out to be the very quirky Christopher Walken. [Note: I don't feel like that revelation warrants a "Spoiler Alert" tag, because the movie came out 10 years ago. If you haven't seen it by now, you weren't going to.] Overall I just imagine it would have been a strange movie to work on.

This, of course, got me thinking. What are some other movies I would have liked to work on, just to see the vibe on set? Here are a few, in no particular order:

Swingers: Even though it was low-budget, they had to know they were in the middle of making a very good movie. Therefore, I like to think everyone was super into working on this movie for that very reason and so it would have been a great place to have been.

Saving Private Ryan: The star power and sheer scale of this set must have been mind-blowing. I mean, Ted Danson's part could have been done by a no-name actor for half the cost, but they went with a recognizable name. Working with guys like Spielberg and Hanks on a set of that magnitude must have been awesome.

CaddyShack: I wasn't originally going to put this, but then my dad was telling me he saw a documentary saying that it was really tense on the set because no one thought it was going to be a big hit and Chevy Chase and Bill Murray did not like each other while they were filming. I think it would have been really interesting to see the dynamic for the same reason you rubberneck accidents on the highway. Also, when the day of filming was done you could play a quick 9 holes. So, you got that going for you.

Ocean's 11: For a lot of the same reasons it would have been fun to work on Saving Private Ryan - just for star power and great stories this would have been a really fun to set to work on. Plus, it's Vegas.

Speed 2: I just imagine everyone was really excited to re-capture the energy from the first one... right up until Keanu Reeves was replaced by Jason Patric. Then they still have this big budget, but they know the movie is just gonna bomb. I imagine the wind being out of everyone's sails. But, hey, at least you're still in the Caribbean.

No comments: