Friday, March 5, 2010

There's About To Be A (What?) Girl-Fight

I've never been the kind of person who gets into much hand-wringing and fretting when there is a fight during a sporting event. The only time I feel it's a big deal is when people start using equipment as weapons or it spills into the stands. Maybe it's because I don't have kids that could be influenced by the violence taking place in front of them or maybe it's just because I don't feel the need to turn every minor scuffle into a world-changing issue (this is probably why I will never end up as an analyst on SportsCenter). I'm really not about to get lathered up when it's a basketball fight because those are the saddest fights of them all - it's just some shoving, an uncoordinated half-thrown punch and then the combatants start looking around for teammates to grab them so they can do the classic, "Let me go, I want to fight (but, please, don't actually let me go)."

Still, I feel that this Brittney Griner punch should be commented on. Unlike so many other media people who want to weigh in, I don't care that it's a girl punching another girl - hell, girls are usually more competitive than guys. The reason this irks me and makes me think Griner should be hit with a long suspension is that she sucker-punched a girl she towers over by six inches and who isn't even looking in her direction. The other girl (Jordan Barncastle) had fouled her pretty hard, but clearly thought the play was over and started to walk away when she gets popped from the side. It's a cowardly move to hit someone as they are walking away (if you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the punch video in all it's slow-motion glory here.) I just think fighting, much like hunting, is much more fair when both people know it's happening. To blindside someone, (apparently) break their nose and then start retreating is a very low-class move and suspension-worthy. Then again, this is Baylor basketball - the fact that it's not one teammate violently killing another should be seen as a marked improvement.

-Now that the NFL free-agency period has begun, I'm trying not get wrapped up in all the rumors that start flying at this point. It's all about mis-direction, mis-information and flat-out lies as everyone tries to figure out what everyone else could be doing in this un-capped year. That being said, I'm very intrigued by the Greg Olsen-to-the-Patriots rumor. I don't think he's worth a second round draft pick, but if we could get him for a conditional third-rounder I would do that in a second. It would be a nice change to have a pass-catching tight end who can go up and get the ball instead of Benjamin Watson, who you have to hit in the hands or else he drops it. He would be a great weapon for Brady and open things up on the outside for Moss. If Bill can pull it off, I'm on board.

No comments: