Friday, October 22, 2010

What Did You Say?

You may remember a couple of weeks back I mentioned that I've suddenly developed allergies at the age of 30. Now, because of something in the air that my body has decided it no longer enjoys, I appear to be completely stuffed up. While I can deal with the clogged sinuses, the problem kicks up a notch whenever I lie down, because everything slides back and into my ear canals. Also, since I sleep on my side (apparently), by the time I wake up one ear is completely clogged. For the past couple of days I have been walking around barely hearing out of my left ear, which makes it sound as if everyone is under water. It has been very annoying, but the worst was this morning when I was trying to order breakfast and the waitress was standing on my left side. At least twice I smiled and nodded, having no idea what she might have asked. All I could do was simultaneously hope she wasn't asking me anything that would have made that response seem very rude. Anyway, because of my ear issues, I have been thinking back to the times in school when you would need to get a hearing test, which got me to thinking about two comedy bits about hearing and they've been stuck in my head all day.

The first was from Seinfeld:
With any kind of physical test, I don't know what it is, I always seem to get competitive. Remember when you were in school and they'd do those hearing tests? And you'd really be listening hard, you know? I wanted to do unbelievable on the hearing test. I wanted them to come over to me after and go, "We think you may have something close to super-hearing. What you heard was a cotton ball touching a piece of felt. We're sending the results to Washington, we'd like you to meet the President."

And the second from Monty Python:

No comments: