Monday, May 17, 2010

I Don't Learn

You would think if a show constantly annoyed me, I would eventually catch on and know enough to stop watching it. However, I can't stop watching Deep Sea Detectives, even though every single episode pretty much ends with the host looking at the camera and saying, "Well, I guess we'll never know for sure what happened" while I realise I just wasted an hour of my life. The problem is I enjoy watching shows about wreck diving, because I still think one of these days I'm going to take up scuba diving (I am just so graceful in the water). Also, most of the sites they dive to are in pretty locations with old ships and I enjoy both pretty locations and history. Still, today's episode was extra annoying because not only did they never figure out how this particular wreck happened, but it also showed they are terrible planners, which is another trait that drives me nuts.

Those who know me know that I don't get annoyed if a plan tries to account for all contingencies but then something goes sideways, because that isn't anyone's fault. At least you attempted to do it right the first time. No, the way to drive me crazy is to try to fly in the face of sound advice and then be surprised when it doesn't work out for you. Today's episode wanted to dive on this wreck off the English coast, but due to strong currents and bad weather the dive season in this area only lasts from June through September. For whatever reason they weren't doing this dive until late in August and were shocked, shocked I tell you, that the conditions were bad. You just told us that the diving gets bad around September, so what did they expect to happen? They either needed to do this dive earlier in this year or hold off and do it next summer, perhaps in the middle of the peak conditions. Really, the wreck is almost a hundred years old, so it's not like it's going anywhere and if you've ever been on Google Earth you know there are plenty of other wreck sites to visit in the meantime.

-Ok, I get why Coach Calipari would want it to be known that he is tied to LeBron James and he's not leaving Kentucky unless a team has some serious interest in signing James. After all, he left a pretty good college team to try and coach a Nets team with almost no talent and he's not about to make that mistake again (especially when you considering if he fails in his next NBA shot it will be the last one he gets). What I don't get is why LeBron would be so intent on Calipari being his coach. Calipari has never won a National Championship and has had to vacate both of his Final Four appearances. Just because you have mutual friends and a guy seems nice enough off the court (there has to be a reason Coach Cal is such a great recruiter) doesn't mean you want to be taking orders from him when you're down 4 with 10 seconds to play. Let's say the Russian billionaire that just bought the Nets throws $8 million a year at Phil Jackson - you honestly think that James would turn down the New York media market, a max contract and a pretty solid starting base of talent just because he would have to listen to Jackson instead of Calipari? Yeah, me neither.

No comments: