Friday, May 7, 2010

Six For Friday

-Due to the world of "Twilight" the two most popular baby names this year were Isabella and Jacob. I want to thank all the parents who did this to their children, because when I have kids I will immediately know who's parents I will not trust my kids to stay with. "What's that, you want to have a sleep over at Jacob's? Aren't his parents really into vampires? Ummm, why don't you guys sleep over here instead?"

-While I would feel a little bad for them if Coach Calipari bolted Kentucky for the Chicago Bulls after only one year (and his prized recruiting class would probably scatter), frankly Kentucky had to know who they were getting into bed with. Calipari has always been the type to keep one foot out the door just in case a better job (read: more money) comes along. Now, his alleged interest could just be a marketing tool for a new deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if he took the money and bolted back to the NBA. (I also wouldn't be surprised if he was again terrible once he got back there, either.)

-One more on Calipari: he said he would love to coach LeBron James. No shit, Sherlock. Every coach in America would love to coach LeBron, cause he guarantees 50 wins a year by himself. Hell, I could probably coax 40 wins out of him and I've never coached at any level. It's the main reason that once Mike Brown is fired in Cleveland he'll have a tough time getting another head coaching gig. People realise that James probably would win even more if he had a good coach.

-Who would have thought it was going to take an 88 year-old woman to get me actually excited to see an episode of Saturday Night Live again? Really, that show hasn't been appointment viewing for me for years, but I'll tune in this week.

-As a man who opposes teams putting stupid banners up in their rafters, I was pleased to hear that one of the first acts of new Wizards/Verizon Center/Mystics owner Ted Leonsis will be to take down the Washington Mytics "WNBA Attendance Record" banner from 2002. Really, if that is the only banner-worthy accomplishment of the last 8 years, perhaps they need to start taking down more than just stupid banners. Now, we just need the Patriots' "16-0 Regular Season" and the Colts' "AFC Finalist" banners to follow.

-I got a letter the other day from the State of Massachusetts, essentially telling me I would soon be receiving a letter from the State of Massachusetts. Alright, though it seems like a waste of a stamp. Perhaps this is an agreement between the state and the post office, as a way to keep each other busy: "You keep spending time sending unnecessary letters to make it look like you're doing work and we'll keep delivering them so we have something to do!"

No comments: