Friday, May 28, 2010

A Weeks Worth of Mini-Ramblings

-I'm trying to figure out how the biggest NBA free agents this year (LeBron James, Dwayne Wade and Joe Johnson) are allowed to get together, discuss their collective futures and yet that is somehow not tampering. I mean, David Stern can and has fined owners for just saying a free agent's name before July 1st, but these guys can essentially get together, form a plan of how they will all end up on the same team and that's perfectly cool? By the way, mark me down now as someone who doesn't think Wade and James should be on the same team, because I think they both need the ball too much. They would be much better off pairing with either Johnson or Chris Bosh, because those guys would be much better second options who would be willing to defer to the big star.

-My biggest fear in tonight's Game 6 between the Magic and the Celtics is that the Magic will come out motivated, on fire and jump to a 10-point lead. If that were to happen I'm just afraid that the crowd will involuntarily start to tighten up and get quiet, which would lead the players to tighten up and start to realise what is at stake. Let's be honest: if the Celtics lose tonight they will lose Game 7. It's just one of those certainties that come along in sports. This is what happens when you have the chance to sweep a team and you let them up off the mat. They need to finish this team off tonight.

-So, Lindsey Lohan has asked a designer to make her new alcohol bracelet look pretty. Clearly this girl has her priorities in order. By the way, I hate that I even know this kind of stuff, but when it's the third story on the front page of Google News it's kind of hard to ignore.

-Yesterday it was announced that Ford is planning to stop making the Mercury line of cars and trucks following this year. That means that this is the last year of Mountaineers. While I'm kind of bummed that I'm now driving a truck that wasn't considered cool enough to continue, as long as Ford keeps making the Explorer then I'll be ok for any parts I need down the line. It's when they pull those off the road that I am in trouble.

-You know who I respect the hell out of? Michael Bay. When Megan Fox quit/got fired/left the production of Transformers 3 Bay didn't try and go out to hire a better actress. He didn't even hire an actress - he went with a Victoria's Secret model. He knows that role could be filled by any hot girl who can run away from explosions and pretend to see giant machines chasing her. No need to find some classically trained actress who will need to know what her motivation is before a scene. Bay knows he's not bringing Macbeth to the big screen. I can respect anyone with that level of self-awareness.

-There is nothing that makes you feel old faster than a scandal involving the lead singer of a musical group where you have never heard of her, her band or her music. You know, I used to care and know about current music, really I did.

No comments: