Saturday, May 1, 2010

Three Thoughts...

-Consider this my Eastern Conference Semifinal Preview: While I'm encourage that the Celtics seemed to finally be motivated during their series against the Heat, it was not an unexpected result. Miami is a flawed team that has some major concerns going forward, so beating them in five games was not a solid indicator of just how good this current Celtics team actually is. They could have beaten that Miami team in six without putting out as much effort, so they only improved themselves by about a game. Also, I think Cleveland may have been woken up by an athletic Bulls team and so they may be rounding into shape just as they meet the Celtics, which is bad news. After all, there was a reason every team in the Eastern Conference was trying to get their playoff position set up so that they could avoid the Cavaliers for as long as possible. LeBron James seems extra motivated to win the title this year and he is the best player in this series, hands down. Also, while I don't think he's necessarily faking his elbow injury, I do think James is making it seem as though it is worse than it truly is. If he plays less than 30 minutes a game I would be stunned. Plus, LeBron's supporting cast with the addition of Antawn Jamison is much improved over last year.

On the flipside, however, I do think the Celtics are going to push, pull and fight to the very end this year and as long as we have Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, then there is a fighting chance. Yes, they are an old team by NBA standards, but the way the playoffs are elongated in the NBA is an advantage and a chance for some serious rest in between games. No need to worry about the minutes the veterans are going to play. Also, I have to give the Celtics a huge edge in coaching, because I don't see Mike Brown handling close fourth quarters any better than he has the last couple of seasons. We have the best point guard in the series and Kendrick Perkins should not have much trouble handling what is left of Shaquille O'Neal. If Rasheed cares enough to try and put a body on Varejao (who going in will be the Cavalier that I have the irrational hatred for - no need to wait a game and hope someone pops out at me), then Perk will be able to clean up the boards. I don't see a single blowout in this series. All that being said, I still feel like this is just LeBron's time. Cleveland in six.

-I have a deep loathing of bandwagon fans who only show up at playoff time. If the first piece of team apparel you have ever owned was bought 15 minutes before the playoff game started in the pro shop, just know you suck at life. So, out of respect for that, I will not be jumping on the Bruins' bandwagon as they make this playoff run. You will not see me breaking out my Bruins hat and Bobby Orr jersey from the back of my closet. I will not get tickets or attend any rallies. Also, I want to be on record that I would still rather go to a Celtics games over a Bruins game 100 times out of 100 if given the choice, because that is the sports fan decision I have made and I stick to my guns. Still, it should be pointed out that every year I am jealous of the Bruin's playoff crowds versus the Celtics ones, because they are just so much more vocal. The loudest I have ever heard the FleetCenter was when I went to a Bruins playoff game against Montreal back in 2002 (not bandwagon jumping, just trying to get in a certain girl's good graces). I think this has to do with the music. Whoever is the Bruins' DJ should be commended, because his choices are much more in line with the crowd. I think more rock should be played at NBA games, just to at least see the look on the players faces.

-I have to laugh every time, the day after someone is eliminated from American Idol, they go on TV and talk about their 'next step' and their 'big plans'. Look, I've never seen an episode of the show, but even I know what your next steps looks like because I've seen it before. Allow me to write them down for you:

1. Go on the tour with the rest of the people who didn't win.
2. Try to rush a single onto the radio before the next season starts.
3. Have 1 minor hit, translating into a brief run on Broadway.
4. Never be heard from again.

If it would help you can print that out and carry it around with you.

No comments: