Sunday, January 10, 2010

I Thought This Was Supposed to Be Fast Food

The other night I didn't feel like making any dinner, just running to the nearest Burger King. In addition to craving a double Whopper made my way, I also wanted to try the new funnel cake sticks that they have been advertising (I am a sucker for the chance to have anything that is like fried dough... I love me some fried dough). The bonus aspect was that I had a coupon so the funnel sticks were going to be free. Everything appeared to be coming up Tom. Now, because I was going to try to use a coupon, in addition to asking for multiple items to not appear on my Whopper, I figured it would be best to go inside instead of using the drive-through. I made this decision based on the premise that the people working the drive-through are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. While my reasoning was sound, it turned out to be a bad idea.

My timing was terrible, because I was behind the woman ordering for 10 people and who had a lot of questions about the menu. (As if there is a ton of rollover at the Burger King menu... it's been the same stuff for years. What are you asking about?) This large group sent the staff behind the counter into a level of confusion that I thought only came when things spontaneously combusted. Apparently the counter staff are the people who couldn't cut it in the fast-paced world of the drive-through. There was multiple counting and recounting of orders of fries, double and triple checking of the correct numbers of cups and just a general lack of hustle with getting this order squared away. As a result I was standing around in this Burger King for close to 20 minutes. Trust me, the last place you ever want to be just hanging out is inside a Burger King.

You know, I usually feel bad about using the drive-through because I ended up just feeling very lazy. Now I remember that it is actually the more prudent choice, because while they may not always get the order right when you do it that way, at least you get in and out in a couple minutes. Also, I don't want to see who is touching my food. There is a reason that nice restaurants have doors to the kitchen. All of this just so I could save $1.70 for some funnel cake sticks. But, dang, they were good.

No comments: