Friday, January 22, 2010

More NBA Ramblings

I'm not going to spend this entire post railing against the fan voting for the NBA All-Star team, because at this point I would just be repeating myself. Obviously, it's stupid that Allen Iverson was named a starter for this year's contest even though he couldn't start for a middle of the road Memphis Grizzlies team. However, I have made my peace with the fact that nothing I'm going to say will change the minds of those fans who vote for guys who don't deserve to go and are coasting on reputation at this point. (Yes, I will include KG in that category this year. I love that guy, but he hasn't played enough this season to warrant being an All-Star starter. Also, I would rather he take the 4 days off.) Instead, I'm much more offended that Amar'e Stoudemire is a starter. First off, he is not a center. Secondly I have no idea how this man earned the reputation as an All-Star, but he should not have it and he really should not have reached a point that he can coast into being named an All-Star for the 5th time. He is a product of playing alongside Steve Nash and if he was really this good, why would Phoenix shop him almost every single trade deadline? At least Iverson did something in the past and is a first-ballot Hall of Famer. I don't think Stoudemire ever gets to Springfield.

-There is talk that Danny Ainge has serious interest in acquiring Nate Robinson. I'm against this and thats before I find out what it would cost the Celtics. This would kill me. I can not stand Nate Robinson and having to root for him would really dampen the rest of my season. I had to root for Ricky Davis for an extended period and that was hard enough. At least with Ricky I could talk myself into him just being "quirky." Then last year I had to talk myself into Stephon Marbury. I just don't think I have it in me. Nate seems more like a guy just out for his stats who wants the spotlight. That's why he keeps putting himself into the dunk contest when everyone else tries it once and goes about their business. He's the perfect guy to be on a crappy team that would allow him to do that, not a member of a team trying to win a Championship. Ship him anywhere but here.

-Furthermore, I don't get Danny's obsession with certain guys. He loved Corey Maggette for years and brought in Darius Miles even though everyone else knew he was washed up. I almost feel like Ainge is sitting back and saying to himself, "I won a title, now I can do whatever the hell I want from here on out." It's a little dangerous when GMs start to think that way, cause thats how you end up with bench players like Bill Walker needing to play actual minutes in a playoff game.

-On a shocked scale of 1 to 10, put me down for a -3 that Glen "Big Baby" Davis yelled an obscenity at a fan the other night in Detroit. Really, he has never struck me as a guy with great impulse control and you can see the team starting to get frustrated with some of these losses. But, Davis needs to realise he will only be told so many times that he needs to grow up, before he'll find himself growing up on another team.

No comments: