Sunday, January 24, 2010

Who To Root For?

I don't have a team left in the NFL Playoffs that I feel particularly strong about. As a result, I'm not quite sure who I am rooting for in today's Conference Championships. Here's my problem: I could get behind either NFC team, but can't root for either AFC team. At this point I will probably be rooting for whoever would make the best Super Bowl matchup, because I would like there to be at least a couple of good games this postseason and so far, we're only about 2 for 8. The other thing I have to worry about is the coverage of the Super Bowl. Let's be honest, two weeks is a long damn time to have to breakdown one game. Every story line is going to be beaten into the ground by the time the game finally gets here on February 7th. So, I'm gonna break this down by how good the potential matchup is from 1 - 10, subtract how annoying the coverage will be and the highest combined score will be the matchup I spend my Sunday rooting for.


Saints vs. Jets

Super Bowl Matchup: This would at least make for an interesting Super Bowl because the Saints have an amazing offense and the Jets stake their claim on defense. Plus you would have the extra bonus of a revitalized Saints rushing attack against the run-stuffers of the Jets. Still, I don't know if Sanchez and the Jets can score enough to keep up with the Saints, so this one could get out of hand early.
Game Potential: 6
Pre-Game Media Angles: New Orleans is the New America's team, how far the city still has to go in recovery, the Saints first ever Super Bowl, Rex Ryan is loud, Drew Brees is a philanthropist, Revis Island, Bart Scott's mouth, Reggie Bush is dating a Kardashian, Jets laughable history and the fact that they were essentially gifted a playoff spot.
Angle Annoyance Rating: Lot to cover for two weeks. Enough that no one story line will be bashed into my head. 3
Combined Score: 3


Saints vs Colts

Super Bowl Matchup
: This could be a great game with two teams that know how to score in bunches. Do the Colts have enough defense? Do the Saints have ANY defense? Can the Colts run the ball, do they even want to? Could be the highest scoring Super Bowl ever.
Game Potential: 9
Pre-Game Media Angles: Already covered the "Saints as America's Team" thing, but now we'd have to put up with a ton of stories about Archie Manning (Did you know he once played for the Saints? Well, get ready to hear about it 10,000 times...) and people wondering where a second Super Bowl would put Peyton Manning as an all-time great. I see too much of Peyton on my TV as it is.
Angle Annoyance Rating: 5
Combined Score: 4


Vikings vs. Jets

Super Bowl Matchup
: Could be a great game with one of the league's best rushers (Adrian Peterson) against a tough Jets' run defense. Then you've got a great QB (Favre) going against one of the best young corners going today (Revis). If the Jets could count on any type of QB play I would definitely have put this higher, but I feel like Sanchez is just waiting to make a really bad decision at a really bad time.
Game Potential: 7
Pre-Game Media Angles: Does this make Favre the best QB ever? What about his waffling? Remember when he played for the Jets last year? Also, if he wins will he come back for another season? We can start the Favre-watch early this year... forget it, I don't need to go beyond that to make a ruling.
Angle Annoyance Rating: 5
Combined Score: 2


Vikings vs Colts

Super Bowl Matchup
: Two great QBs against two so-so defenses, but only one team has a great running game as a compliment. Still, you know Jared Allen and friends would be coming all day against that Colt's line. So Peyton could get knocked around... a lot. That'll just throw off the Colts timing and this one is over early. Not to mention, the last Super Bowl the Colts were in was the worst I've ever seen.
Game Potential: 7
Pre-Game Media Angles: Superstar Quarterbacks always get too much attention during the week before the Super Bowl, so when you have two of them it could get even worse. I imagine the pre-game coverage in Miami would go something like this: "Manning, Favre, Favre, Manning, Manning, Manning, Favre, Favre, Manning, Manning, Favre, Favre, Favre, Favre, Manning , Manning, Man, Jared Allen is a quirky guy, Manning, Favre, Manning, Favre, Manning, Manning, Favre, Favre."
Angle Annoyance Rating: 45
Combined Score: -38

So, there you go. After breaking it down I'll be rooting for a Jets/Saints Super Bowl. In other words, the Colt and Viking fans can thank me later.

No comments: