Friday, January 8, 2010

It's An MP3 Trip Down Memory Lane

I'm usually very good about keeping my bedroom clean. I try to not let the dirty clothes get too far out in front of my closet and put the clean ones away as soon as I can. I figure I've got the room clean, so keeping it clean at this point it is all about maintenance. There is just one area that I just can not get a handle on, though, and that is the top of my bureau. It is easily the worst area of clutter in my bedroom. But, I've decided that I want to try and lighten my furniture so that it will match the rest of the trim in my room (my bureau is stained wood, so this probably won't work, but I'm going to test a small area in the back and see what happens). But, before I do that I need to clean up the top of it, so that I at least have a better idea of what I am working with.

As I was going through the mess that had accumulated on the top (2 mugs full of pens, a large container of hair gel which I never use because I never use hair gel and various other knick-knacks), I came across my iRock, which was my first MP3 player. Now when I first got this it blew my mind, because you could make a playlist and then skip songs, which made it so much more convenient than tapes. It was not perfect, though, because it was a pain creating and then uploading that playlist, which took forever. Also, because I was not about to spend the money for the extra memory cartridge, I could only upload 15 songs at a time. So, really, the pressure was on to choose 15 good songs. And, you had to do it in the right order, because changing the song order once they were on the iRock was another chore. You had to get it right the first time. Really, these kids with their iPods don't know how good they have it. (Seriously, the other day a co-worker asked me to make him a romantic playlist for him and his woman and it took me 4 minutes.)

The battery in the iRock was long-since dead, but I wanted to know if it had maintained it's memory the entire time. I tossed in a fresh battery and discovered that the playlist had remained despite all the years of inactivity. What was still on there was a time-capsule back to the days of 2003. It was a mash-up of Staind, Saliva, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Trapt, Incubus and Hoobastank. In other words, I listened to some really crappy music back in 2003. But, it made me realise how far we had come in a short time. I got my new iPod in 2006, which means in 3 years we went from 15 songs to 10,000. That is some impressive growth. Anyway, it reminded me of this clip from Patton Oswalt (DO NOT PLAY IF YOU ARE AT WORK):

Jokes.com
DVD - Exclusive Patton Oswalt - The Year 2009
comedians.comedycentral.com
Read Patton Oswalt's biographyWatch Patton Live at the New York Comedy FestivalFind more from this comedian in the Shop.

No comments: