Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Theatre, New Movie

I've always enjoyed a good mystery movie. The best ones are the films where the audience actually has to think for itself and feature a twist towards the end which they never saw coming. I can't stand movies where you've figured out the "big twist" within 10 minutes. I've also always enjoyed reading the books of Sherlock Holmes as a kid, though I confess they were more the Holmes stories that had been sort of water-down for kids instead of the true Sir Arthur Conan Doyle books. Still, they served their purpose. Therefore, despite so-so reviews, I was actually pretty excited to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie that came out Christmas Day. And, as an added bonus, I made my maiden voyage to the new Dedham movie theatre in the Legacy Place. First a review of the movie, then a review of the theatre.

-The movie was really good - much better than I anticipated. It was a tad long, but it didn't feel as long as it was (if that makes any sense). From the previews you expect it to be nothing but action without much in the way of an actual mystery, but that isn't really the case. You have to put some serious thought into what the purpose of certain things might be as well as their context in the larger plotline. This is not a movie in which everything becomes clear within the first 45 minutes. I thought Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr were quite good and Downey as Holmes pulls off the last quips of each scene very well, even if his British accent occasionally had me wishing for subtitles. While the people who are hardcore Holmes enthusiasts probably won't like the way he is portrayed, I think that is about ten people, so we should be ok. For the rest of us, I don't think you have to run to the theatre to see this movie, but there isn't anything else out right now that I think is worth seeing, so give it a look. At the very least add it to your Blockbuster list when it becomes available.

-Now, as for the new theatre at Legacy Place, you would expect it to be pretty much the same as the one up at Patriot Place, because they are owned by the same company. Sure, you can get more than the typical popcorn and soda as well as luxury seating if you feel like springing the extra money, just like at Patriot Place, but I still would rather go to Foxboro. First off, it is kind of a pain to get to, buried in the corner of the new mall parking lot, which is not nearly large enough. They seem to want to funnel you towards the parking garage. Secondly, even though it's the same company, this movie theatre seems to have different chairs. And, let's be honest with each other, chairs are what make or break a movie theatre. These chairs don't seem to recline as much and instead spring forward, which would be great if I had either short legs or good knees, but sadly I am in possession of neither. Also, the seats were not very comfortable and I found myself shifting throughout the movie. Somehow, even though it is supposed to be the same movie theatre, it is just not as good. Make the drive up Route 1 to Foxboro.

No comments: