Friday, January 1, 2010

A Non-Resolution Resolution

Normally I am against New Years resolutions. Not because I don't think they would be useful, it's just that I forget about them by January 15th. Then someone comes along to remind me that I'm failing at them and I get annoyed; first at them for reminding me and then at myself for forgetting. The other thing is that I'm way too results-oriented for the normal, generic "I'd like to lose some weight and exercise more" resolution. I need a target to hit. But the flipside is that if I said, "I need to lose 16 pounds," I would starve myself, lose the weight by March 1st, check the resolution off my list and then spend the next 9 months putting that weight back on. It's a double-edged sword. Knowing this about myself, I didn't set any of those normal, generic resolutions last year. But, here's the weird thing, I kind of did them anyway.

The resolution of exercise more happened because I found a fun set of golf-specific exercises that I can do in the comfort of my own home (also, because, let's be honest with each other, it was not hard to top my exercise output from 2008). This is the best way for me to work out because I don't have to join a gym, travel anywhere or worry about the other people in my area. Also, I feel like I'm training for something specific; like I said, I like having a target to work towards. I stopped working out as soon as I stopped needing to be stronger for sports. Now, for the past couple of years I had also resolved to drink less soda, because Diet Pepsi is my one vice. Well, that one took care of itself because, by leaving Gillette Stadium, I no longer worked in a place that had all the soda I could ever drink at my fingertips. Also, Pepsi was no longer doing the Pepsi points, so I had no reason to drink four 16-ounce bottles a day just so I could get some noise-cancelling headphones (again, I'm very results driven). Both sort of just happened on their own.

Another thing that was not so much a resolution as it was a goal was wanting to see if I could post something on the blog everyday for a year, which I managed to do. (Were they all winner? Ummm, no. Though, after June the guilt of mailing in a post got a lot easier, just because I figured I was halfway there I may as well finish, even if I did have to force some topics into posts.) Which is why I'm making a minor announcement: don't expect me to do that this year. I'm not stopping my blog, not by any means, but if it's 8:30 on a Sunday night and I've got nothing to say then I'm not going to bore you with my thoughts on that afternoon's Patriots game. It'll be more quality, potentially less quantity. Also, when I go away for a weekend I won't have to think of three days worth of posts on Thursday night, which will be nice. In the mean time, I do have a streak of 383 consecutive days with a post, so we'll just have to wait and see.

So, instead of resolutions, here are some projects (semantics, I know) that I would like to get done in 2010: build a deck down the cape, a bookcase for my bedroom and CD wall rack. Also, after firing a 49 down at Willowdale I'd like to see if I could come in under 45 and also shave 3 more strokes off of my all-time best of 113 at Chemawa.

No comments: