Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Best Kind of Shopping...

-As a general rule I, like most men, shop like I'm on a scavenger hunt. I identify what I need, I find it, I get the hell out. I need jeans? I get jeans and I'm gone. There is no lolly-gagging. But, there are a few exceptions: TV shopping, car shopping and golf club shopping. But, I now need to add a fourth category and it maybe the best of them all - recliner shopping.

For as long as I can remember, my dad has wanted a recliner. But, we've either never had the room or my mom just told him he didn't really want one. But, this year my dad was turning 60 and since you only get to do that once, we kids banded together to find him a nice leather recliner. With Shivaun and I having the most flexible schedules, it was up to us to find one.

Let me tell you how recliner shopping works. First thing is to avoid the salesperson, be it the guy with the champion mullet or the woman with the visible bald spot. Then, you identify a chair and you sit down. Well, that's nice. Try another one. My, that's also nice. This is generally the entire process. You just sit in one comfortable chair after another, until you find one that is so comfortable that you don't really want to get up. That's the one you want to buy.

-I was watching the news last night and the weatherman told me that the average snowfall for Massachusetts in December is 6 inches. Friday we're expecting between 10 and 14 inches. Last Monday it was almost 70 degrees. I feel this roller-coaster is best summed up in a letter:

Dear Mother Nature,
Make up your fucking mind.

-Tom

No comments: