Monday, December 1, 2008

New After-Thanksgiving Diet...

-If you went a little overboard this Thanksgiving and your wondering what diet you should try to get back to your pre-turkey day form, I've found a great way to lose weight fast - it's called the flu.

It's a tremendous weight loss technique. I had dinner at about 7:30 Friday night and literally did not eat a single thing until Sunday afternoon, when I risked trying some soup. I couldn't even keep Gatorade down. In the meantime, I drifted in and out of consciousness, fortunately avoiding the shit-show that was the USC-ND game (more on that in a second). But, between the puking and the heat flashes, I'm pretty sure I lost about five pounds. Plus, with the dry-heaves you get those great ab workouts.

Now, I love my nieces with all my heart. But these little girls are the bringers of the plague. Every year, about this time, one of them gets sick and then gives it to her family. We then proceed to pass it back and forth, like some sort of crappy Christmas grab gift. This year we've even expanded to include my uncle Paul... so, lucky him.

-Flu or no flu, I was definitely going to have to do some work to counter-act all the eating I did at Thanksgiving. Here's all you need to know about round 1 at the Rakauskas household: 7 people, 8 pies. That's how we roll, bitches.

-Huge goings on in Norwood: following this season, Norwood will play Walpole on Thanksgiving, not Dedham. Apparently after 80 years, Dedham decided to change leagues. What, was the travel of two towns over too much?

-Alright, I'm starting to see the need for a change at Notre Dame. I was resisting for the longest time, and I still don't want Coach Weis to get fired, but I see the other side's point. The team has regressed the last four weeks and if Weis wants to hang his hat on his offensive genius, they should manage more than 91 yards of offense. Personally, I had them winning 7 games before the season started, so only the Syracuse game really pissed me off. Now, when your starting quarterback is a true sophomore, you should expect growing pains. But, usually those pains are still in the forward direction, which I haven't seen in a month. If they decide to keep Coach Weis (and the reported size of his buyout could be the only thing in his favor right now) they need to resist the urge to accept a large bowl bid. Forget the Sun, Gator or Cotton bowls. They need to look more to the level of the Pioneer, Independence or Meineke Bowls. Play a lesser opponent - someone they can be competitive against. Going to a major bowl to get destroyed by someone like Texas Tech isn't going to help anyone. This program needs a win in the worst way right now and snapping their long bowl losing streak will go a long way to silencing the alumni who are calling for Charlie's head.