Sunday, January 4, 2009

Dear Dolphins Fans...

First off, sorry about today. That had to suck. But, deep down you had to know that Chad Pennington's old habits would rear their ugly head at some point (there was a reason the Jets just flat-out released him, afterall). Too bad it had to be in the playoffs (By the way, there was no sarcasm there - honestly. I'm not a Dolphins fan, but I'm not going to root against a team that went 1-15 last year and had a great turnaround).

But, I feel we need to talk about your jersey habits. Look, I know that Marino was probably the greatest player in your team's history. But, watching today's game I saw a ton of Marino jerseys in the stands. The guy retired in 1999. That's last century - it's time to move on. You've had good players since then: Jason Taylor, Ricky Williams, Zach Thomas or Ronnie Brown just to name a couple. It's time for an upgrade. Wearing the jersey of a player that hasn't played in damn near a decade is just as confusing as the guy who wears a Giants jersey to a game between the Panthers and Raiders (yet watch the stands, there is always one).

Look, I've got a few Bill Russell jerseys in my closet (four to be exact) but I don't wear them to games. The guy retired before I was even born and I recognize the need to go with more current players. If you can afford the $100 to go to a game, then you can spring the $50 for a cheap replica. I know it can be tough to go with an unproven player's jersey when the Hall of Famer is sitting right there (I've got three, yes three Andy Katzenmoyers taking up room in the back of closet to attest to that). But, you need to face reality and move into the present. Marino ain't coming back and frankly, it's getting a little sad.

No comments: