Sunday, January 18, 2009

Picking Your Poison...

Last night the weather reports that I saw had my particular neck of the woods getting somewhere between 2-6 inches of snow. I awoke to five inches of snow on the ground and it was still coming down. When it finally stopped around 2:30, we had about 8 inches of snow. Giving the weatherman the full benefit of the doubt... he's still wrong. Actually, I should say when it paused, as it started back up again around 6. Apparently when it stops at about 3 am, we'll have an addition 2-4 inches of snow. Of course, that's apparently just another pause as we're getting more snow Monday night with 4 more inches of the white stuff expected.

When I talked to my dad at his knee rehab center he couldn't have been more excited. He was loving every single flake and rejoicing at every inch of snow added to the total simply because, for the first time in probably 50 years, he didn't have to worry about shoveling any of it. I'm going to tell his physical therapist to be a little tougher with him tomorrow since he missed out on some good exercise.

I haven't decided which I would prefer: 14 inches of snow all at once, or in slow enough intervals that I end up shovelling three times. If it comes all at once it's heavier and harder to move, but at least I get it over with. Over the length of time is more trips outside, but it's easier to get rid of the smaller amounts. Plus I get a tremendous workout given the length of the driveway. Honestly, I come in looking like I just spent two hours at the gym. But I really only need one of those a day, not three.

I think most people would say the answer here would most likely be C) move to where it's warm. Of course, I can't say that cause you and I both know damn well it won't happen. I don't do the heat that well.

There's no real point to all of this (which is not to say it's different from any of my other blog postings) - I just wanted to have something to read ironically come August when it's the third 90 degree day in a row.

-Turns out that I got my Super Bowl picks right, for a change. Now, despite the high levels of bandwagon jumping fans, I think you've got to root for the Cardinals going forward. The Steelers have won it enough.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Speaking of shoveling, I prefer to shovel at intervals during the day - makes it easier in the long run and usually I can use the exercise. One winter when I lived with my sister, she went skiing for the weekend. It was also the weekend we got about 3 feet of snow. I shoveled often. Because of that, I can say I'm glad to be in Ireland, where if it does snow, it only snows a quarter of an inch and everything comes to a grinding halt. Ah, bliss.