Friday, January 2, 2009

Did you know ink could freeze?

Neither did I. But I bet you can guess how I found out.

The journalism major in me always makes sure that I have a pen handy (for an extra dose of nerdiness, I've even got a notepad in the compartment on my car door). You never know when something important could happen so you need to be at the ready to jot down information as it happens. As a result, I'm always snaking pens from people and then they end up in my car. Thus, I've got a whole jubilee of pens in my center console. This morning, after not that cold of a night (we've had colder before) I went out and started my car, drove to my destination and, needing a pen, reached into my center console and discover that one of the pens had exploded. Apparently the ink froze, expanded the plastic to the point of cracking, and then thawed enough to spill the ink all over the cup holder. The ink then began to spread and get into the other pens, which I then couldn't click open because the ink dried. As a result, I had to toss out several previously good pens and you can bet that getting the dried ink out of my center console will not be quick or fun.

Now, like I said, last night wasn't overly cold. We've had colder this year and in past years. This is not a new habit I've just recently started, but this is the first time I've ever had a pen freeze on me. I'm assuming that not having to go anywhere the last couple of days and letting my car sit and be continuously cold was the chief culprit. Moral of the story: go out and start your car after a snowstorm.

-Oh good, Stephon Marbury wants to be a Celtic. I can see no way this ends badly. Oh wait, yes I can... I'm going to go slam my head into a wall now.

1 comment:

OfficeSupplyGeek said...

I actually did a 3 part review on my website where I froze and tested 3 different pens. One pen held up VERY well to being frozen, it might be worth checking out. I actually bought this pen with the specific intent of leaving it in my car during the winter and it has not failed me yet.


Here is a link to part one of teh review if you feel like reading it. You can find parts 2 and 3 pretty easy once you are there. :)
http://officesupplygeek.com/pen-review/uni-ball-power-tank-ballpoint-pen-pt-1/

Hope you enjoy.