Monday, May 11, 2009

Busy Night on the Couch

Last night was a tremendously stressful night for my remote (note: it is not a clicker. Nothing clicks when you press any button. Stop calling it the clicker.). There was a lot of stuff going on last night and because the people controlling the networks wanted my head to explode, it was all happening at around the same time. Between the Celtics playoff game, the Bruins trying to fight off elimination, Red Sox versus Rays in what has become one of the better series in baseball and new Family Guy last night was not the night to have old batteries in the remote.

I have thoughts on all of them, taken in the reverse order of how much of them I watched.

- I'm not sure how much longer the Big Pop-Up experiment can go on here. We need to get some power out of the 3 spot in the lineup and right now Ortiz isn't providing any. You know it's bad when a double gets people that excited. We've been waiting for him to explode for about a month now and it still isn't happening. I don't doubt that he'll get it going eventually, but if he keeps going at this rate he's going to have to get dropped in the lineup until he does. Still, despite Ortiz's struggles right now I think it's only a matter of time before the Sox completely lap the Blue Jays. Tampa Bay is really in the midst of a World Series hangover and the Sox should put as much distance between themselves as they can right now.

-Carolina came out last night perfectly content to let this game go. I was shocked at how, once the Bruins went up 2-0, the Hurricanes started to just skate through the motions. I mean, they only had 19 shots on goal the entire game. You can't let a team as good as the Bruins off the mat, because the last thing that that Carolina team wants is to have to come back to Boston for a Game 7 in which the Bruins will have all the momentum.

-Family Guy is just brilliant. Even if last night's episode wasn't an all-time classic, it was still just great. Also, it almost perfectly synced with halftime of the Celtics' game, which I appreciated.

-Allow me to give you a stream of consciousness of the final 11 seconds of that game: "Too much dribbling... gave it to Pierce too far out... this is bad... get it to Allen... why did you pass it to Davis? No...No... NO... NOO....YESS!!!!"

And then there was much jumping and fist-pumping.

-So, I love the NBA "Where Amazing Happens" ads, and I also love that there is a guy on YouTube who whips them up almost immediately after the game ends. Here's the one from last night. Keep watching at the end when Davis just shoves the kid who think he's allowed on the court out of the way. That's the danger of courtside seats.

p.s. This reminded me, anyone know how to get YouTube videos onto my iPod?

2 comments:

Liz said...

I stopped reading after the first line because to me, it will always and forever be 'the clicker.' I'd also like to add that when we first met, you called it 'the dial changer.'

Tom said...

Damn right I did. I still do sometimes call it the dial changer. But I never have, nor ever will, call it the clicker. That's like the people who call soda, pop. It's just wrong.