Tuesday, May 19, 2009

This Guy is Both a Winner and a Loser

The last couple of days everyone has been weighing in on the story of The Happy Youngster. This is a guy who's main hobby in life is going to baseball games and catching baseballs; either foul balls or homeruns, he doesn't really care. He must be pretty good at it: to date he's caught almost 800. Now, that's fine, everyone needs a hobby. But, this guy apparently has a side business; holding those balls for ransom.

At a recent Marlins/Brewers game he caught the first ever home run by Marlins' player Chris Coghlan (wow, he must have had to fight off quite the crowd in the bleachers... I mean this is the Marlins playing the Brewers). Now, standard issue for a ball that isn't historic (sorry, Chris, this doesn't qualify) but is still a ball the player would want, is a signed baseball, maybe a bat if the player is feeling generous. But, The Happy Youngster (oh yes, he goes by the nickname... he even has tee shirts. I just hope he didn't give himself the nickname. Giving yourself a nickname is lame) wanted memorabilia signed not only by Coghlan, but his much more famous teammate Hanley Ramirez. Also, tickets to a Marlins/Brewers game in Miami.

Now whether he was asking for too much is up for debate. Personally, I think these baseball players are doing ok for themselves - they can afford to sign a bat for the guy. Also, it's not like you're ever going to find me taking the side of a professional team. They gouge fans with ticket prices - they can stand to be have their feet held to the fire every now and again. Would I have asked for all that stuff? Nope. But, again, this isn't my hobby. So, congrats, Happy Youngster, you got the memorabilia you wanted - you won.

But, dude, you also lost. The main issue I have with this guy is that I just don't think anyone over the age of 14 should be bringing a glove to a baseball game. Now, I've never caught a foul ball before, but at age 29, I've made my peace with that. If that's the worst thing that can be said when all is said and done then I'll be ok. I think shagging foul balls is best left for kids. Should it comes right at you then you may have no choice but to protect the family jewels, but no one over the age of 17 should be going after foul balls with vigor. It just looks wrong to see grown men scrambling to get a ball that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. That goes double for pro athletes (Ricky Henderson and Doug Flutie, I'm looking at you).

-Far be it from me to accuse the sport of Bodybuilding of having a steroid problem - but if the guy shows up to give the random drug tests and everyone in the competition runs for the door, well, I would imagine that can't help your image too much.

No comments: