Saturday, May 16, 2009

I Should Be in the Clear, Right?

A couple weeks ago, my dad hired a landscaper to come in and try to save our lawn. For years, my father and I have been trying all sorts of different techniques to try and fill in the patches, dead spots and moss that has covered the back yard for the last few years. We can get some sporadic results and by the end of the summer it starts to look ok, but every spring we're right back where we started. It was time for a professional.

The guy came in and laid down 100 pounds of grass seed. Right now, we're under orders to let it stay as it is and he'll come back and do the first cut of the season. In the mean time, we're just supposed to water the crap out of it and let nature do the rest. So far, so good as the lawn has lots of new grass coming in.

Eventually, though, the lawn care is going to fall back to me and so it was time to dig out the lawn mower and bury the snowblower. Last spring I did a massive re-organization of the shed (Does any one need a bike? Seriously, I have like 7 in there and no one in my family bikes. Anyone? Bueller?) so that it would be easier to do the Seasonal Shit in the Shed Shift (or the 4S, as I like to call it), which is when I put away the shovels and pull out the rakes. Now, Mother Nature has shown me that she has a weird sense of humor and it seems that she likes to mess with me when it comes to what I do in the shed. Plan to get gas for the snowblower tomorrow? It'll snow tonight. Get all set for the big snow storm that's supposed to come on Friday? The system will miss us by 50 miles.

So, you can imagine my trepidation when it came to finally putting the snowblower away for the season. I would hate to be the reason that it snows in May. But, I decided that since it was warm all week, then I should be safe. Still, since I did the 4S, the temperature has dropped 10 degrees in the last 2 hours. I'm sure it's a coincidence, but just in case I still know where my gloves are.

No comments: