Wednesday, May 6, 2009

An Ode to Chicken Roll

Some of you may know it by it's alternate name, chicken bologna. At least that's what we called it in my house. The reason for that is because it's made with the same principle that applies to regular bologna (you know, take whats left after you get all the good stuff, mash it up and put it in cold cut form) only it tastes like chicken at the end of the process. Is it good for you? Probably not. But if you don't think about what goes into it and just eat it then it's quite good.

Back in the day, I used to eat this stuff all the time. I don't like bologna at all, but I couldn't get enough of chicken bologna. I have a bit of an obsessive personality, in that when I find something I like, I stick with it to an excess (my new-found obsession with golf is a perfect example). But, I've got to be honest, even I have a breaking point. If I even saw the stuff after a while I got nauseous.

I hadn't had chicken roll in years and hadn't even thought about it. But, today when I was going through my fridge, some appeared in the container that holds the rest of the cold cuts. So, I made a sandwich and boom, I was back in junior high. All I was missing was long hair, braces (I was dead sexy at 12) and the rush to eat so we could claim the basketball court first during recess.

No comments: