Wednesday, August 5, 2009

5 Football Quickies..

You may think that just because it's August, it's too early to turn our collective attention to football season. Well, it's still a little early, but not so much so that I felt like I could skip these.

-I hope the Patriots know what they're doing. It's never wise to anger a man of Gutz's stature. Also, next to Brady, he's got the most time in the system.

-Proving once again what we already know, no one cares about T.O. And that shows by the fact that almost no one watched his reality show. It came in as the 798th ranked show this weekend (that's the real number, I didn't even make it up). You see, here's what reality TV producers need to understand about trying to put on a sports-theme show: nothing that you produce will be any better than the games themselves. In the end, that's all sports fans care about seeing.

-Another thing we all like watching is a perfectly sappy sports movie. I read this book and it was fantastic. I can pretty much guarantee this movie will be added to my collection at some point.

-$97.5 million for Eli Manning? That seems a lot for a guy who I still wouldn't totally trust in the 4th quarter of a close game (obviously he can do it, I just wouldn't bet my life on him doing it). He still makes a few too many boneheaded mistakes to warrant being one of the three highest paid players in the league.

-Looks like the AFL will be closing it's doors forever. While I was never a fan of the league, it clearly filled some kind of purpose. But, rather than looking at it as a failed enterprise, let's instead focus on the positive and the deals to be had. Now is a great time to get some merchandise or equipment at what I'm sure will be great discounts (I'm particularly fond of the Kansas City Brigades and Arizona Rattlers logos).

No comments: