Monday, August 24, 2009

The Most Useless Piece of Clothing

Since Saturday's birthday party was luau themed, I figured I should get a new Hawaiian shirt for the occasion. I already had a couple, but one more couldn't hurt. Also, since there are three of them hanging in my closet, I can officially claim to have a Hawaiian shirt 'section' in there. Now, if my time on the golf course (especially down in Rhode Island) has taught me anything, it's that etiquette requires under the Hawaiian shirt should be a tank-top undershirt, more commonly known as a "wife beater." I guess that's in case, should I feel the need to walk around with my shirt unbuttoned (unlikely), I would still have my stomach covered. Plus it just really completes the look.

I don't know why, but I actually have a couple of these in my wardrobe collection. And while wearing one in the 90 degree heat of Saturday, I realised how utterly useless this piece of clothing is. The whole point of an undershirt is to provide you with an extra layer of defense, so should you either lathered on the deodorant or have a sweating issue, you've got extra coverage. Typically, I'll just use an older tee-shirt for this assignment (division championship shirts are great for just such an occasion). But, with the tank-top kind the main areas of concern remain uncovered. In other words, your armpits are still wide open. And, as I was sweating, the 'beater didn't do anything to cover up this problem. I just don't even know why they still makes these things.

-If you ever needed more proof that the National League is the way to go for aging pitchers, look no farther than the case of John Smoltz. Couldn't wait to get him out of the Red Sox rotation, but you put him against a National League line-up and he looks great. When you factor in the resurgence of Matt Holliday and Julio Lugo that just seems like further proof. I think if you're in a contract year and want one last big payday, then you need to get traded to a National League team for the stretch run. Just watch, someone will give Smoltz a deal for next year.

No comments: