Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Opposite Effect

When I upgraded my computer last year, I cleaned out a lot of crap. Old files, file-sharing software and unnecessary games that I don't play anymore were all deleted. Since that time I have made a much better effort to make sure that I know the sites that I'm going to, what I'm downloading and from where. My computer is nice and fast with a solid Internet connection and I'd like to keep it that way. So, imagine my annoyance when my computer slows down considerably. And, it's even more annoying when you consider the source of what is slowing my computer down - my virus scan software.

Every Friday my automatic scan kicks on and when it does it slows my whole system down to the point that it's useless to even try to do anything. Surfing the web takes forever and even if I can get online I get a little pop-up almost immediately telling me my computer is low on virtual memory. The worse part is that while it takes forever to scan my computer, the scan only finds the same spam program over and over each week... and then proceeds to tell me that it cannot completely remove the file. Well, thank God you just wasted 4 hours scanning my computer. Then I have to reboot my computer or else it stays sluggish even after the scan is over. It's really not the ringing endorsement they were probably hoping for.

-The worst part about the whole steroid scandal is that I can't go to my normal sports websites for the next couple of day. The Red Sox homer fans are there to defend Ortiz with irrational "say it ain't so" logic, everyone else is there to write witty comments like "2004*" and the result is nothing I want to read. Makes me realise I should expand my Internet horizons beyond the same 4 websites that I bounce between all day.

-How big of a dick must Adam LaRoche be? Sox had him for about 10 days before deciding that splitting time between Youkilis, Lowell and LaRoche wasn't going to work. He must have been really pleasant to be around. And speaking of the trade deadline, I know the Sox needed another bat for the lineup, but when you've got a glut of guys who can play 1st and 3rd and need to get them all playing time, was adding a guy who is a C/1B really the best idea? There were no outfielders with power to try and get?

-Are you curious as to how humid it is around here? Here's your answer: yesterday it was so humid that the glue on the letters in our mailbox came undone.

-John Daly shot a 51 on the front 9 yesterday, including a 10 on the first hole. Been there, John (actually, depending on the course, I would be thrilled with a 51). At least you rebounded with a 37 on the back 9. I haven't mastered that part yet.

No comments: