Thursday, August 6, 2009

Just GO Already...

This afternoon was supposed to be spent going to Lowe's so that my father and I could get supplies for all the home improvement projects that we have to tackle. We need to replace the shed doors, put more solid edging around the bushes that are against the house, mulch that area and the area in front of the house and also at some point we have to start the process of tiling the bathroom. But then we left the house without the list, it's my dad's day off and who really wants to spend their day off thinking about home improvement? Instead we went out to lunch, looked at golf bags, checked out the construction going on at my aunt's house and hit a bucket of balls. We did spend 5 minutes at Lowe's looking at edging, so we at least made some progress.

During this slacking we ate at the 5 Guys restaurant in Dedham and as we were leaving we passed a couple of crosswalks with shoppers in them. Now, I've greatly reduced the amount of time I spend shopping at malls in the past year, so I haven't been near them since Christmas. And I think at that time the parking lot is so full of cars that I spend my time looking for a parking spot and not paying attention to other people. So, it wasn't until today that I noticed there are two types of people at crosswalks: the gamblers and the timid. You know which one you are.

The gamblers have blinders on to the world and they're just going. You're supposed to stop and they know it, so they're going without checking. It's your responsibility to not hit them, not the other way around. Also, they're going, but they're not going fast. You will watch them walk slowly through the crosswalk, and you will like it. These people own the streets of Cambridge. The timid, on the other hand, are not going unless they are instructed. Just cause you can see them doesn't mean you're not a psycho who will gun the engine once they come off the curb. They've seen the news, there are sick people out there (they'll tell you all about it if you have the unfortunate timing to be standing next to them). They're not going until they get the wave-through. The bonus, though, is that once you wave them on, they sprint across the street so as to not further annoy you. Still, I think I find the timid more annoying. If we have come to a complete stop, that is your signal to go. Do not get greedy and expect a wave in addition to us stopping. At least with the gamblers the experience is over quicker.

-I got an email today from Adidas with a new "Build Your Own Belt" promotion. You can pick the color, style and belt buckle. I can't think of anyone this would be worse for than me. Half the time I forget to even put a belt on. It's not until I'm walking and my pants start falling down that it dawns on me thats what I forgot to grab this morning.

No comments: