Sunday, August 16, 2009

Too Bad I Didn't Bring A Book

After spending some quality time with my favorite American-turned-Dubliner, I was driving home last night on Rt. 27 pretty late in the evening. Now, for those of you who have not travelled in these parts in a while, despite sounding like a big highway, there are long stretches of Rt. 27 with no streetlights (or lights of any kind), as both sides of the road are state preservation lands. So, just to ensure I had plenty of time to spot any deer or other animal that might be inclined to wander into the road from these preservation lands, I made sure that my high beams were on. And as I drove down the road, it occured to me that a lot of people don't seem to understand the common courtesy that comes with using your high beams.

As it turns out, finally flicking off your high beams as you pass doesn't do me all that much good. You've actually already been blinding me for the last 100 yards or so. What you need to do is turn them off once you can see my headlights. Also, even though my car comes with all sorts of fun features, like a self-darkening rear-view mirror that cuts down on the glare, that doesn't mean you shouldn't also turn off your high beams if you're behind me and on my bumper. Normally, because I drive a pretty jacked-up SUV, unless the car behind me is an 18-wheeler or perhaps an F-350 I barely notice the headlights of the cars behind me. Last night, thanks to the guy behind me, I got to have an extremely bright cabin. Honestly, if we were in bumper-to-bumper traffic and I had some reading to do I may have appreciated it, because then I could have saved my battery and not had the dome light on.

-Congrat, Theo. You just had to trade a prospect to undo a move from three years ago that you never should have done in the first place. I would have rather you went back 5 years and got Orlando Cabrera, but I bet that the Twins were just willing to pay more.

No comments: