Monday, August 17, 2009

Ok, That's Pretty Impressive

Normally, I don't pay much attention to track. Even when I was on the track and field team in high school, I only worried about the "field" side of things. It probably has to do with the fact that I have no speed to speak of and track is, of course, all about speed (freshman year of college as a joke I tried to clock my 40 time - I will just say it was not good). Another reason is I just can't get excited when records are broken by a total of .001 seconds, which is how much most track records are broken by. When it's that close, to me that could be a matter of someone just taking too long to push the button. Every four years or so I'll check in on track during the Olympics, but even then it's only for the 100 meter dash.

Still, I find Usain Bolt breaking the world record in the 100 meter dash to be very impressive, because he didn't beat it by 1-100th of a second, he beat it by a full 10th of a second. He was the first person ever to break the 9.7 barrier and this weekend he crushed his own time, coming in at 9.58. Tim Gay, who was in second place, ran a very impressive 9.71, which would have been a world record at about this time last year but instead is an afterthought. Do you know what you can do in 9.58 seconds? Not very much. I bet most of the time I can't even name that tune in less than 10 seconds.

-I'm not totally surprised that Tiger finally lost with a lead in the final round of a major. We see guys who have a long history of winning come up short eventually. It happen in sports all the time: Douglas beat Tyson, Brady lost a playoff game, DiMaggio went 0-fer. The thing I'm most pissed about is that I had Y.E. Yang on my fantasy team for 3 weeks... and dropped him right before the PGA Championship. My timing sucked.

2 comments:

Tami said...

wait...there's fantasy golf, too? You men are crazy!

Tom said...

There's a fantasy league for every sport.

Trust me, as soon as a sport is invented, somewhere a guy sits in a darkened room trying to come up with a scoring system and a day where all his buddies can get together for the draft