Tuesday, November 17, 2009

No One Wins Here

The other day I was out and about when I passed a cop who had just pulled over a guy on a scooter. It was one of those hybrid electric deals, not even a Vespa which, while still a scooter, at least seems like it would be a little more hip. The guy was off the bike (using that term very loosely) and seemed to be pleading his case. It looked to be a newer scooter, so I can only guess that he was pulled over for something else, like not wearing a helmet. I moved on and finished my errand, only to head back the same way and find the guy in the back of the cruiser and the scooter being pulled up onto a flatbed. My guess had now changed to something more serious, along the lines of the guy not knowing he needs a motorcycle license to take his scooter out on the road, because I can't see getting arrested for a helmet violation.

But what struck me was how bummed everyone seemed about the whole situation. No one looked happy: not the driver, the cop or even the flatbed operator. Obviously, I know why the guy being busted wasn't happy - not only was he getting arrested, but you won't get any street cred being hauled in on a scooter violation. In fact, I would imagine you're near the bottom of the jail food chain. And the cop couldn't be happy, because when he was a kid playing cops and robbers he probably imagine himself foiling bank robberies, not doing traffic violations. I doubt busting guys on scooters is what he signed up for. Even the tow guy seemed to be embarrassed by the fact that he had this huge flatbed with this tiny scooter on it. Really, you could have just thrown this thing in the back of a van; calling in a hauler usually reserved for SUVs was overkill. I guess the moral of the story here is this: kids, don't buy a scooter. Nobody wins.

-The other day I went out to buy my DVD copy of G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. I, of course, wanted the special 2-disc special edition, but imagine my surprise when I got to F.Y.E. and discovered that they had a limited edition 2-disc version in a special metal case. And, it was only $4 more and I had a $5 coupon. I'm such a sucker for this kind of stuff. I have already watched it 3 times since and have switched my celebrity crush to Rachel Nicols. Just something about those redheads.

No comments: