Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A Minor Project, A Major Pain

For years I never had an On-Demand section with my cable provider. It was just one of those luxury items that I did without and never realise what I was missing until I had one, like the first time my car radio display told me the song and artist playing and I realised what a fool I had been for so many years living without this magical invention. Having all those shows and movies at your fingertips is a great resource and an unbelievable time waster. One of the things I most enjoy is that you can look up all sorts of quick instructional videos with Verizon Fios (yes, they do have a video on how you should fold a towel. List of items you need before you watch this video: a towel). The only problem is that some of these videos are only around for a short time. Crappy movies stay there forever, but videos I would go back to frequently are only available for a couple weeks. Go figure.

Recently I discovered that there are a series of instructional golf videos On-Demand. Three of them are for various resistence and stretching exercises to do before and after a round to build up golf-specific muscle, while the others were about aspects of the perfect golf swing and driving tips. Last winter, after unearthing my golf obsession, I found a similiar video On-Demand and tried my hand at golf yoga. Even though I felt like an idiot as a guy trying yoga, it clearly did something because I was very sore the next day. I needed to make sure that while I was easing my way from step one to step three the videos stayed available to me and so I wanted to burn them onto a DVD. My dad got a DVD burner a couple years ago and since I'm trying to cut down the number of VHS videos in my library I wanted to use that.

The first thing I had to do was dig it out and then try and find the book. Well, no luck on the manual, but I thought I was tech savvy enough to wing it without the instructions. I figured the process would be as simple as plugging the thing in, putting the three wires into the front of my TV and hitting record. Not so much. Turns out I had a problem getting that far, because the door wouldn't even open. I guess it jammed due to inactivity. I tried compressed air to get rid of some of the dust, but what finally got the door to open was a swift slap to the top of the box (apparently I am related to Fonzie). Then the next issue was finding the remote, because this thing won't allow you to simply press the buttons on the front of the box. We searched this place high and low, low and high. I tore apart my dad's office and living room, convinced that was where the remote was. I must have spent over an hour looking for this thing before finally giving up and attempting to program a universal remote, which did not work. I was about to give up the whole project entirely when out of the corner of my eye the remote appeared. Would you care to take a guess as to which room it was finally discovered in? Go ahead, I'll wait...

...the kitchen.

Don't ask me why, but the remote was randomly on top of a small bookcase which sits under the circular stairs and holds all the cookbooks. No idea why it would ever have come to rest there. After that it was simply a matter of getting the correct wires in the correct spaces, making sure I recorded at the appropriate aspect for my TV and then creating a sweet looking label, because I detest simply writing in sharpie on the disc. All in all the day was a success as I now have all five On-Demand videos at my disposal for as long as I need, I just wish the project that I thought would take me a couple hours, three at the most, didn't end up taking six.

No comments: